The Connection Between Gut Health, Inflammation, & Autism
Does Harvard's Research on the “2nd Brain” Suggest a New and Effective Way To Treat the Symptoms of Autism?
There’s been a tidal wave of research pouring in from the likes of Harvard and Johns Hopkins Medicine revealing the quickest and most effective way to ease the symptoms of autism may be through, what they’re calling, “the 2nd brain”…AKA The “Gut”
Recently, a review of over 150 papers on ASD and gut bacteria found scientists have been reporting links between bacteria in the gut and autistic behavior since 1960.
The review highlights several studies showing that restoring a healthy balance in gut bacteria can ease the symptoms of ASD.
Here are 3 reasons why…(In easy-to-understand English)
1. THE GUT-BRAIN AXIS
To begin to understand the mechanics of the research and why thousands of parents are already implementing strategies based on the studies…and seeing dramatic results…
It’s important to start with the dynamic communication between the gut and the brain.
Let me explain…
Have you ever felt nauseous before giving a speech?
Ever had a “gut feeling” not to do something?
Butterflies in your stomach when you get nervous?
How about experiencing your mood change when you devour the leftover mac n’ cheese?...(There’s a reason they call it “comfort food”).
That’s because there’s a direct line of communication from your gut to your brain…
Your gut actually speaks to your brain (and vice versa)
The area in your gut responsible for communicating is known as your Enteric Nervous System (EDS)
- In fact,
The area of your brain that your gut communicates most with is responsible for…
- Mental Health
- Human Connection
…and a host of other variables affected by ASD
Interestingly enough - over 70% of people with autism also have gastro problems and issues related to their gut.
2. IMBALANCE OF GOOD AND BAD BACTERIA CAUSING A “LEAKY GUT”
There’s been several studies conducted which have shown the majority of people with ASD have an imbalance of good and bad bacteria.
Specifically, more bad bacteria than good bacteria.
The excess “bad bacteria” inevitably leads to the over-production of toxins which weakens the lining of the intestine, making it permeable…which leads to what’s known as “Leaky Gut Syndrome.”
Leaky Gut Syndrome is a term used to describe “Hyperpermeable Intestines” which simply means the intestinal lining (Your guts filter) has holes in it, allowing toxins, yeast, undigested food and other dangerous pathogens into your bloodstream.
Once the toxins, particles, and pathogens get into your bloodstream, it triggers the immune system to feel stress and danger.
As a response, the body goes into defense mode and becomes inflamed.
Which in turn puts pressure on the brain which intensifies (or creates) behaviors of ASD.
Does that make sense?
If not, read this section one more time…
If there’s nothing else you get from this,
If Autism is a fire…INFLAMMATION is gasoline.
That question takes us to Reason #3.
3. CHRONIC INFLAMMATION
One Arizona State Study Revealed the results of chronic inflammation (long-term inflammation)… and the parallels to behaviors of ASD is shocking.
Here’s what they found happened with inflammation…
Cell death in brain and reduced brain cell formation (In other words, brain cells were dying, and fewer brain cells were being formed)
- Reducing the response and release of Oxytocin - Oxytocin is the hormone responsible for social interaction, love, human connection, etc
- Repetitive behavior
- Motor (movement and coordination) issues
Do those results and symptoms sound familiar?
Here the kicker…
In the same study,
When they introduced PROBIOTICS (good healthy bacteria) and a non-inflammatory diet to the test-subjects
Inflammation went down, and virtually all the behaviors and symptoms improved dramatically, and in some cases even went away.
This is why it’s critical to…
A) Reduce the inflammation inside of people with autism
B) Avoid behavior and habits that cause inflammation.
LET’S PUT THIS IN LEHMANS TERMS
Your Gut directly communicates with your brain – if you have an unhealthy Gut, you’ll have an unhealthy brain.
The majority of people with ASD have a bacteria imbalance in their gut which leads to toxins and pathogens entering their bloodstream which creates a chronic inflammatory response inside the body.
Inflammation puts pressure on the brain and intensifies (or creates) behaviors of ASD
“Ok, I get it…so what can I do for my child?”
The easiest answer to help children with Autism…
“Heal The Gut And Reduce Inflammation”
But Where Do You Start?
There are several specific adjustments that can and should be made to the daily nutrition of the person with ASD.
But it’s not completely mandatory…
The easiest and most-simplest way to heal the gut and remove inflammation is by simply taking a Probiotic on a daily basis.
Unfortunately, not all probiotics are created equally.
There are specific ingredients and dosages that we found to be most effective and maximize results for children with autism.
To help heal the gut of a person with Autism, the probiotic must contain a healthy bacteria strain called "Lactobacillus Reuteri or L-Reuteri."
Where Can I Get Quality Probiotics?
These days it seems like you can find a probiotic at any local mini-mart.
But beware of their safety, quality, and effectiveness.
It seems like every vitamin company on the market has quickly thrown a few cheap ingredients together and magically...A “probiotic” appears on their list of products.
Just because there’s technically beef on a big mac, doesn’t mean it’s the same as the prime rib at the steakhouse.
The fact is, there are a special blend and a specific amount of unique ingredients that must be combined to specifically help children with autism effectively.
Top 6 Things to Look for When Shopping Probiotics...
There are 6 components to look for to tell the McDonalds of probiotics apart from the ‘fancy steakhouse’ of probiotics designed for children with autism.
1. Most probiotics contain 3 strains and 5 billion CFU’s.
- Children with autism need stronger probiotics. Look for ones with at least 10 strains and 10 billion CFU’s
2. Look for a probiotic on the market that contains an ingredient known as "L Reuteri."
- This is a vital ingredient for children with autism - In a recent study, researchers
found that by feeding the probiotic Lactobacillus Reuteri to mice with autism-like
behaviors improved their sociability while increasing the number of oxytocin-
producing neurons (a hormone associated with social behavior) in their brains. It
also improved signs of brain plasticity – the brain’s ability to form new connections
that foster learning.
3. Most probiotics are engineered for adults, so they’re in hard to swallow capsule form and need to be swallowed.
- Look for the powder so that it can be mixed up it up and easily drank or mixed with food. Most kids, especially ones with autism won’t swallow pills.
4. Most probiotic powders taste like liquid chalk and don’t mix well.
- The probiotic can only work if the child consistently takes it on a daily basis – so look for a tasteless powder that can be mixed into juice or smoothies so that your child can drink it and not even know it.
5. Research shows that healing the lining of the gut is extremely important in reducing inflammation. Most probiotics only contain strains of good bacteria, and some may even have prebiotics.
- Be sure that the probiotic contains ingredients that help heal the gut lining, digestive enzymes to help the body absorb nutrients, and prebiotics.
6. Buy from companies who believe in their products – most don’t, they just try to make a buck. The way to tell who actually put the work into creating a winning product and who didn’t is by their guarantee.
- Most companies offer a 30 or 60-day money back guarantee.
- The companies who truly believe in their product and it’s quality and effectiveness offer 365-day money back guarantee.
If you can find a probiotic that contains all 6 of those components, you’re going to be Golden.
Where Would I Begin to Find Quality Probiotics?
If you have a high-end Vitamin Boutique in your area, You can rummage around there to see if they have something.
Or you can grab a bottle of All-Star Nutrition's BioHeal probiotic here => The Most Effective Supplement For Children With Autism to start healing the gut and reducing inflammation.
It contains all six key components for children with autism, and you can get a bottle for 20% off right now.
Don't delay and Grab a bottle of Probiotics and save 20% + FREE Shipping here => The Most Effective Supplement For Children With Autism I've Used
Committed to easing the symptoms of autism from the inside out,
Founder of Loving Autism